Start Point LighthouseDistance from the centre of Kingsbridge: 7.3 miles
The striking Start Point Lighthouse is situated on one of the most exposed peninsulas on the English Coast, running sharply almost a mile into the sea on the south side of Start Bay between Kingsbridge and Dartmouth.
Come and have a guided tour around the only lighthouse in Devon open to the public to see how it works. You can park in Start Point Car Park (seasonal charges apply from the end of March until the end of September), nearest postcode is TQ7 2ET.
Guided tours are held on the hour throughout the day, the first tour is at 11am and the last tour is at 4pm and pre-booking is not required. You may also wish to visit the souvenir shop in the lighthouse offering a selection of Lighthouse gifts, toys and postcards.
Admission charges for the lighthouse are: Adult: £5, Child (5-16yrs) £3, Family: (2+3) £14
Children must be a minimum of 1.1m tall and be physically capable of ascending/descending the stairs unaided and cannot be carried (this includes baby carriers).
Opening times for 2017 are below...
- February: Half Term: Sun 12th, Wed 15th & Thurs 16th, Sun 19th
- March: Sundays 12th & 19th
- April: Every Weds & Sun plus Easter: Fri 14th – Mon 17th incl.
- May: Every Sun plus BH Monday 1st, Half Term: Sat 27th – Fri 2nd June incl.
- June: Every Weds & Sun plus Half Term: Thurs 1st & Fri 2nd
- July: Every Weds, Thurs & Sun, then from 17th every day except Fri and Sat
- Aug: Every day except Sat
- Sept: Every Wed, Thurs & Sun
- Oct: Every Sun plus Weds 18th & Thurs 19th, Half Term: Sun 22nd – Fri 27th incl.
Opening is subject to weather conditions and Trinity House operating requirements and some restrictions may apply, please call the information line for further details on 01803 771802.
Please note: there are no card payment facilities at Start Point.
Start Point is signposted from the village of Stokenham which is located on the A379 from Kingsbridge. Parking - There is a car park at the top of the approach road to the lighthouse, charges apply from Easter to the end of September. Please call 01803 771803 for further details.